Total Pageviews

Monday 20 October 2014

143-shaping the next generation of Hills Grammarians

I had no idea that all the experiences I had at school were shaping me into who I was, my views were simple at the time - I thought some things were cool and others sucked, but as I prepare to give a speech at my old high school tomorrow night, I feel like I'm now in a position to shape the next generation, and it's quite exciting.

I'll be speaking at The Hills Grammar School's sports presentation about how sport brings people together, I'll also be adding my own little flavour to it and talking about how sport can metaphorically, and literally save your life.

At an informal school reunion last week, it showed how important school was in shaping all of my old classmates - none of the class of 97 went on to become Prime Ministers or Olympians, but everybody at the reunion were REALLY good people. Conversations had turned from "have you done enough study for English?" and "what was your result in the Science prac?" to "how much did you pay for your house?" and "what are your kids names?" but thankfully not much else had changed, they were still good people making good decisions.

So tomorrow night, whether the kids think my speech is cool or it sucked doesn't really matter, it will be an experience they all share, and will go towards shaping them into the men and women they will become.

No comments:

Post a Comment