Total Pageviews

Friday 17 October 2014

142-Bringing Blepharospasm out in the open

After nearly running into the back of somebody walking down the Devonshire street tunnel this morning because my eyes closed involuntarily, I thought it was time to bring my condition of "blepharospasm" out into the open.


Blepharospasm is a neurological disorder characterised by involuntary muscle contractions and spasms of the eyelid muscles. Basically "bleph" is an extended blink that can hit at any time. It is not life-threatening, but it's really annoying - it's totally unpredictable, it can happen in the middle of a conversation, at the top of a set of stairs, walking across the road, or writing a blog. 

Blepharospasm comes about due to extreme fatigue, so to get on top of it, major lifestyle changes are needed - good, unbroken , early sleeps, which 2 weeks out from a wedding is highly unlikely to happen, so if I'm talking to you and my eyes close, I apologise - I'm not bored, it's blepharospasm.

Bleph isn't an epidemic or a viral scourge - it's not even all that common, but I'd never heard of it before I was diagnosed with it, so I just wanted to let people know it exists.

If you are able to - get a good sleep tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment