Total Pageviews

Thursday 25 December 2014

164-"Nothing" is the best part of this Christmas

If I were to sit down and tell you about my Christmas day so far, you'd probably look at me a bit confused and say...

"So?"

This has been one of the best Christmas' I've had, and the highlight has been...nothing. Absolutely nothing earth changingly dramatic has happened, and it's been beautiful. So far it has been a completely normal, everyday, happy Australian Christmas. It's so normal in fact that some people may say it sucks - while my family are shelling prawns, starting the barbecue, setting lunch places, and playing with the toys they opened this morning, I'm sitting at work writing a blog.

The normality started last night when my wife and I joined my family and some friends for Christmas Eve dinner at my brothers house. The main topic of conversation was the wedding of our family friends that the groom declared a "no crying event," but then my brother showed a video of the groom breaking down in tears when he sees his bride walk down the aisle. As people headed to bed early, it was to the sound of my niece singing "tis the season to be Charlie, fa la la la la, la la la la."

I woke this morning to the screams of my nephew "Uncle Barns, I got a Leonardo!" My parents and sister joined us and we all sat around the tree opening our presents. Then, dressed in my sexy new threads my wife got me, we were both lured to the mobile coffee van sitting over the road where Rick, the owner told us he wasn't open for business, but he'd make us a special one at no charge for Christmas.

With drinks in hand, my wife then drove me from the Northern beaches into work in the city (massive!) I sat down and started writing a blog, and that brings us up to right now.

"So?" - I hear you say, but that's my exact point. There has been nothing extraordinarily amazing about this Christmas, and that's why it's been so good - I've just been eating, drinking, opening presents and generally just hanging out with the people I love.

Merry Christmas everybody - I hope absolutely nothing happens today, and that you love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment