Total Pageviews

Monday 9 December 2013

172-Revisiting my Mission Statement

I have started a motivational speaking business, and in looking at how I want to run it, I've been grappling with a conundrum - can you be a good person AND make a lot of money?

It's a question I haven't been able to answer, so rather than get bogged down in philosophical questions that may be purely rhetorical, I'm going to Keep It Simple, Stupid, and make my business goals crystal clear, and not deviate from what I want.

The most important factor in my business pursuits is my personality - I don't want to be a different person in order to secure a deal - in every decision I make I want to be honest, reliable, genuine and compassionate.

My motto in business is simple:

"Be a good bloke."

The most important things I can provide for my family are meaning and security, if I end up with comfort as well, that's just a bonus.

The answer to my conundrum can be found by taking out two words - the question "can you be a good person AND make a lot of money?" can be solved by taking out "a lot." I want my business to make money, but not at ANY expense.

Barnaby Howarth
 
"Rain falls on the just and the unjust alike,
but there comes a time when you just have to get over it and go and
play in the puddles."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment