Total Pageviews

Thursday 17 July 2014

122-Diabetic Russian Roulette

***BEFORE I START WRITING THIS BLOG, I CHECKED MY BSL 90 SECONDS AGO AND IT WAS 5.2 - I'VE HAD A BIG CONTAINER OF RICE AND 2 MUESLI BARS (ONE WAS A "THANK-YOU" BAR ASH!) - I'M NOT SWEARING, I'M NOT RUNNING ACROSS 3 LANES OF TRAFFIC - MY LIPS ARE A BIT TINGLY, BUT I'M IN TOTAL CONTROL.

--------------

Diabetes sucks.

Dealing with a stroke that nearly killed me has been easier than dealing with diabetes recently, and I'm over it. Every time I recover after being revived by paramedics or given an injection of Glucagen by my girlfriend, I tell everyone that I'm still in control and it's just the arrogance that comes with 20 years of good control that's caused my recent form slump, and while that's still true, today the straw broke the camels back.

I went for my lunch break with a largish slice of lasagna and a solid container of rice, but when you are trying to work out how much insulin you need to counter the carbohydrates you're about to eat, "largish" and "solid" aren't accurate measures of portions, so like I've done too often over the last 12 months, I just guessed how much carbohydrate was in my lunch, and once again, I got it wrong.

As I was finishing the last of my rice after already destroying the lasagna, I started to feel the way only a diabetic having a hypo can feel - a bit tingly, my stomach felt light, and I was getting a bit vague. Realising what was happening, I went straight to the 7-11 and grabbed a couple of muesli bars, which brought my sugars back to the 5.2 I was at the start of this blog.

"So how do I regain control of this thing?" I found myself asking once I was aware of what was going on at lunchtime, and the answer is pretty clear - my control was at it's best when I was at peak fitness due to footy, and I was having standard, predictable, accurately measurable portions at each meal - so I figure I have 2 options: One is to do another pre-season at Pennant Hills, do hill sprints in my spare time and do beep tests after work - I'm still carrying a tight gluteus maximus from the Penno Old Boys game nearly a month ago though - so I'm not too keen on that option. The other option is to STOP GUESSING! Surely it's not that difficult having a sandwich and having the prescribed dose of insulin, rather than having huge serves of lasagna and rice and HOPING you guess the right amount if insulin.

Diabetes does suck, but it is entirely managable - I just need to pull my head in and "get it right."

Post script: My BSL is now 10.0 - the delayed response of all those carbs is sinking in!

No comments:

Post a Comment