Total Pageviews

Friday 29 August 2014

127-Diabetes good news story

After bringing a plethora of diabetes horror stories over the last few months, I'm pleased to report that after seeing my diabetes Dr yesterday, I have some sensational news.

My HBA1C - a 3 month average blood sugar reading - was 6.9%, my best reading in 5 years. In layman's terms, an HBA1C, or Glycosylated Hemoglobin is a simple way of reading average blood glucose levels over 3 months. It is the best way of evaluating the risk for glycemic damage to tissues (eg. nerves and small blood vessels in the eyes and kidneys) and thus, risk of complications of diabetes. A non-diabetic's HBA1C is ideally between 4 and 5.6%, and diabetics aim for readings under 7%.

So after months of roller-coastering between levels over 20, to plumetting so low I've passed out in alley-ways, this result goes to show that when everything around you looks miserable, you can still find good things if you look hard enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment