Total Pageviews

Tuesday 26 August 2014

126-Angela and Barnaby: the proposal story

When I was 15, I walked along Gap beach at South West Rocks and when I hit the north end, I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of the scenery at the bottom of the cliff face, I decided THAT would be the spot I would propose to my wife when the time came, and on Sunday morning, the time came.

The plan was so intensive I needed some wing men, so my mum and dad came down to the beach and pretended to go fishing - their presence and minute by minute movements were listed in my excel spreadsheet. The plan was that I would take Angela for a walk to the south end while my wing men planted a note that read "turn around, Angela" in the cliff at the north end, so when we walked back, I'd lead Ange to the note, and while she was reading it with her back to me, I'd drop down on one knee and open the ring box that had my Grandmother's engagement ring inside, before asking for Angela's hand.

The plan looked to be at risk the day before when torrential rain made the long, steep, rugged dirt road that leads to Gap beach almost impassable, but we stuck to the plan and Sunday morning opened with birds singing and the sun shining, so we jumped in the car with our wingmen, and went to "the Gap."

Things went perfectly when we hit the beach: the scene was set so all their was to do was to ask the question. Angela and I walked towards the cliff at the north end, had a quick chat to Mum and Dad, then I lead Ange towards the note. When I found the note poking out of a rock, I said to Angela "what's that thing, go and have a look," to which she replied "It's just a piece of rubbish." I convinced her to go and have a look, and as she was picking it up, I took out the ring box I'd been hiding in my beach towel and dropped down to one knee and took a deep breath. After she read the note, she turned around with tears in her eyes, and I said to her "Angela Guirguis, will you marry me?"

The answer was yes, the day was perfect, then later that afternoon we had a slow dance to John Denver's "For you." Ange and I were really happy and in love before the weekend, but that's all gone up a level now that we are going to get married.

Now our sights turn to planning a wedding!

No comments:

Post a Comment