Total Pageviews

Saturday 16 November 2013

83 - The simple things in life bring me the greatest mung bean doughnuts

When I was young I used to think you had to do something significant with your life to feel you were a "somebody", but on the train on the way home yesterday I realised that just being a decent, everyday man on the street is "somebody" enough for me.

I was sitting just inside the doors of a packed peak hour train when an asian lady (who smelled like fish) walked through the carriage looking for a seat, but as there were none free, I stood up and offered her mine. She looked pretty chuffed and couldn't thank me enough as she got herself comfortable.

A few stops later a few people got off and I was able sit again, and the lady who had taken my seat reached into her dilly bag and came and sat next to me with a little container in her hand. She peeled back the lid and offered me one of her mung bean doughnuts.

Eating a mung bean doughnut was scary, but it was delicious, and it reinforced that I'm definitely not a "somebody," but being just an "anybody" is more than enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment