Total Pageviews

Monday 8 July 2013

Put a fork in me, I'm done

People have been trying to convince me to keep playing footy now that I have played my 100th, and I've been told there are rumours that I was considering it, but I want to set the record straight:

I'm done.

The most compelling argument to keep playing was that no matter what happens if I chose to keep going, the memory of yesterday can't be erased, which is a good point, and a fortunate one, as those memories were perfect. From sending the under 18's onto the Ern after smashing the changeroom door, to breakfast with my whole family, to the call from GWS Giants captain Tom Scully wishing me luck, to the "Fat's 100" shirts, to the reserve grade side's come from behind win, to leading fourth grade down the longest guard of honour I've ever seen, to 2 goals in a winning team, to singing our victory song twice, to first grade handing Manly their second defeat in 2 and a half years, to a few beers at the Epping Club. There wasn't one part of the day that could have gone better.

My most compelling argument to retire though, is that 8 years ago I was a footballer who retired on someone else's terms, but on Saturday afternoon, I was a footballer who retired on MY terms.

--------------------

I've recieved so many messages of support during my 4 game comeback, and I wanted to thank everybody who helped to make all my football memories perfect ones.

------------------------------------

For information about Barnaby's motivational speaking, go to: http://www.barnabyhowarth.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment