Total Pageviews

Thursday 27 June 2013

Good things happen to good people

When my comeback to playing football became a reality, I knew it was going to be cool, but I didn't think I'd missed it as much as I have. I've been completely overwhelmed by how much this comeback has meant to me - being on the field with the boys has been sensational, but some of the things people have done to support me through this has blown my mind.

My comeback came about after a conversation with Pennant Hills' all time greatest club official, Chicken (Ian Parker), where I told him I was disappointed that I was stranded on 96 games when I had my stroke. I'd put a line through my football career, as I thought my physical impairments after the stroke would be too hard to overcome, but when Chicken told me a couple of weeks later that he'd spoken to Jarrod Myers, the coach of the Demons 4th division team who was more than  happy for me to play 4 games so that I could reach 100 games, I was reminded why I love playing footy for Pennant Hills - it's a club full of good people doing good things.

One of the physical impairments I thought would be too hard to overcome, was my eyesight. My vision without my glasses (which have a big prism in the lens to help me see) is fuzzy at best. On the field I could make out a red, football shaped blur coming towards me, but that was as good as I thought things would get, as I couldn't wear my glasses on the field, and contact lens' can't be made with the prisms I need. But my teammate, Luke Turner, arranged a collection from the footy boys, and they all chipped in to buy me a pair of sports glasses. So now I'll be able to see while I'm playing and training thanks to the kindness of a bunch of good blokes.

If my mind was blown by the support I've got from the footy club, it was completely torn to shreds by the support my family have shown. My 2 brothers both said they'd come to the game with their families and watch, and if anyone pulled out of the side, both said they'd love to play. The fact that one of my brothers lives in Perth and was due to open a new bar he co-owns 2 days before the game was humbling, but when my sister Skyped yesterday morning, I was flabberghasted. My baby sister Ashley, told me she was flying to Sydney for 1 night, watching the game, then flying back to London the same night!

Acts like these help remind me why I love being a Pennant Hills footballer, it's a place where good people do good things. It's Scarlo lending me shorts and socks to play in, it's Sam and Di, Harold, J-Bone and Booker giving me lifts home, and Seb giving me lifts to training, it's Olivia digging her knuckles into my old calves, it's holding a banner with Jude to celebrate the Rat's 200th. The Pennant Hills Football Club gives me a place I feel I belong.

------------------------------------

For information about Barnaby's motivational speaking, go to: http://www.barnabyhowarth.com.au/

No comments:

Post a Comment