Total Pageviews

Monday 20 May 2013

F#*k it

As a new business owner, I've been confused as to which business philosophy I should use to run my venture, but no existing theory fits the bill I want to apply, so I've decided to adopt a philosophy I co-invented in high school:

"Fuck it"

This philosophy was revolutionary for my mate, Boof and I. The principles are simple-if you're scared  or hurting or you're just not sure whether what you're doing will work, you just say "F#*k," you do it anyway, and hope everything works out for you. If you're doing a fitness test, and you're up to level 12 and feel like you're legs are about to give out because you're spent, if you want to make it to level 13 you just say "F#*k it," and keep going until your legs actually do give out on you.

If you get home from school and you've got homework to do but you just couldn't be bothered, just say "F#*k it," go and get your homework done then go and watch TV guilt  free.

If you have a presentation to give at work but you're nervous, say "F#*k it," the worst thing that will happen if you forget your lines or look stupid is that someone might not be interested.

I had my own "F#*k it" moment this morning - I delivered my first official speech at Liverpool Boys High School and I had that  pit of your stomach nervousness where you feel like you're WAY out of your depth, but when the student introduced me and gave me the microphone, I said to myself "F#*k it. You've got this."

At the end of the speech I was pretty happy that I'd done a good job, but a teacher confirmed not just that my speech was well received, but that my philosophy worked, when he came up to me after assembly and said "I've been working at this school for 30 years, and that was one of the best presentations I've heard."

I don't know if starting a business is a good idea right now, I don't know if I'll forget my lines and freeze on stage one day, I don't know if swearing in a blog is completely unprofessional, but fuck it, I'll do it anyway, and hope everything works out.




No comments:

Post a Comment