Total Pageviews

Friday 11 April 2014

Diabetes horror story...me

I have been speaking to a young diabetic girl about telling the story of her struggles with the disorder at a diabetes fundraiser I'll be MCing in August to try and highlight the importance of finding a cure, but after passing out in a CBD laneway because of a low blood sugar level last night, and lying there in the patchy rain for a few hours until a passing citizen called the authorities who got me to hospital and stabalised me until I was ok to leave, I now have my own horror story to tell.

My incident started at lunchtime, when I had my regular dose of insulin, but I had something a little differnet for lunch - I got a crepe (which wad bloody good incidentally - from "Crepe Cart" in the Devonshire street tunnel), but the crepe didn't have the amount of carbohydrate to match the insulin I'd had. When I got a bus after work to go to meet a mate at Bunnings in Randwick, but ended up in Kingsford, I should have realised I wasn't thinking straight and checked my sugars, but instead I got a bus back into town to try again. When I got back to town things turned pear shaped, and I wandered around in a stupor until I passed out in a lane between George street and Pitt street. Thankfully after lying on the ground for about 2 hours, an ambulance turned up, gave me some glucose and took me to Sydney hospital to recover.

I made it back home fine, my sugars are back to normal today, and I've ordered an emergency ID bracelet, but last night's incident showed me that diabetes horror stories aren't confined to young children, they can strike anyone at any age at any time.

We need a cure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment