Total Pageviews

Thursday 25 April 2013

Heroes and mates

Frederick Smith was a Private in the 19th Infantry Battalion in World War one. There are no memorials in his name, he didn't win any bravery awards and there are no Frederick Smith statues at the National War Memorial, but it's men like him that made me rush to work early on a public holiday because I was excited to write a blog about playing footy with my mates - so in my eyes, he is a hero.

I haven't played a game of football for the Pennant Hills Demons since 2005, but this week, they reminded me of how important it is to have good mates around you. Since my playing career was cut short by a stroke, I've tried to stay involved with the club - I've been message runner, water boy, and co-coached the under 18 side, but it's been a while since I've been caught up in the excitement of the pre-game routine in the change rooms, so I asked my ex-team mate, current first grade coach and good mate Chris Yard if I could talk to the boys for 2 minutes before they run out to play Sydney Uni this Saturday to try and psyche them up. Asking a football coach to take their pre-game talk is like asking Corporal Ben Roberts-Smith if you can look after his Victoria Cross for a night, I thought I may have been kidding myself, but 17 years of mateship showed it's value when I was told I could have the honor.

I didn't become mates with Chris BECAUSE I thought there might come a day when he was the Demons first grade coach and I might want to address the boys before a game, I became mates with him because he was a sensational ruckman, a great football mind, and a really good bloke, and this weekend, the unexpected benefits of mateship will help fire me up before I try and fire the Dees up.

I'd like to thank the Frederick Smith's of the world for helping friendships like Chris' and mine to endure.

No comments:

Post a Comment